William L. Scott's Battery.
Official Name: Captain William L. Scott's Tennessee Light Artillery Company.
May 10, 1861 - Raised by Captain Smith P. Bankhead in Memphis ( Shelby County ) as part of Colonel John P. McCown's Tennessee Artillery Corps. stationed at Fort Pillow.
June 18, 1861 - Tennessee secedes from the Union and becomes an independent republic.
August 9, 1861 - The battery was mustered into Confederate service while stationed at New Madrid, Missouri.
November 1, 1861 - While stationed at Columbus, Kentucky the battery became company "B" of the Tennessee Light Artillery Regiment, Col. Milton A. Haynes commanding.
May, 1862 - An attempt was made to form the First Tennessee Light Artillery Regiment. Bankhead's Battery was the first company "B". Lieutenant William L. Scott was second in command. Taylor's Battery was the second company "B". Only some of the companies actually were reorganized and Bankhead's Battery never joined the organization. This regiment never had any field officers and was not recognized by the Adjutant and Inspector Generals office.
July 1, 1862 - Captain Bankhead is promoted to major. William L. Scott is promoted to captain and takes command of the battery. Other officers include Lieutenants John L. Marsh, A.T. Watson and John Doscher.
December, 1863 - Scott's Tennessee Battery was consolidated with Swett's and Marshall's Batteries.
In May 1862 Scott's Tennessee Battery was assigned to Smith's Brigade (Cheatham's Division) Polk's Corps serving until destroyed except during the Kentucky campaign (1862) when detached to Stewart's Brigade (Cheatham's Division).
"Last Updated 12/03/2010"
Copyright © 1999-2010 by Scott's Tennessee Battery, Inc
If Interested in joining us or have questions or comments about our page,
Please feel free to e-mail us.